LED stands for Light Emitting Diode
What is a diode? It is in fact a single piece of material that has a varying ability to conduct electrical current. So one minute it acts like copper and lets lots of electricity through. The next it flips and acts like rubber and stops electricity passing through. This property on the material is then used in a clever way to create light.
How is light created?
This robustness makes LED’s the ideal choice for signage makers illuminating their work.
Why use the LED? LED’s were invented by General Electric GE back in the 1960’s. The benefits of using LEDs vary depending on the application, but typical technology features include;
- Up to 90% energy-cost savings
- A long life of up to 50,000 hours
- Minimized maintenance hassles and costs
- Low-voltage operation
- Excellent cold-weather performance
- Environmental friendliness is also a factor, as LEDs do not contain mercury.